We will cover basic techniques of “treatment free” beekeeping, including materials and equipment, beehive structure, the life cycle of bees, hive development and dynamics, seasonal apiary work, honey and hive products, common pests and diseases, and hive management – with an emphasis on ecologically-friendly management techniques. We will taste local and varietal honeys, and learn about harvesting and using bee products. You will learn everything you need to know to set up your own backyard apiary.
DATES & TIMES: Five Thursday evenings February-March, plus three hands-on field dates in March-April, depending on weather, etc.
Jamaica Plain location
Urbano (29 Germania St., Jamaica Plain) on Feb 7th, Feb 12th, Feb 28th, March 7th, and March 14th from 7:00pm to 8:30pm — extra class added on March 21st at Urbano as well.
Somerville Armory (191 Highland Ave, Somerville) on Jan 30th, Feb 6th, Feb 13th, Feb 27th, and March 6th from 7:30pm to 9:00pm
FIELD DAYS* (times TBD):
1) Hiving a package;
2) Your 1st hive inspection;
3) Either ‘assembling hiveware,’ or ‘splitting & swarm control
Space and time to enroll are limited, so please register ASAP. The registration link will be posted as soon as it’s open. Pre-registration highly recommended (space may fill up and only those pre-registered will be guaranteed a seat).
COST: $120 (registration will be online ASAP)
* Course fee includes 5 classroom sessions and 3 hands-on workshops/field days, in addition to exclusive access to numerous resources.
* BABA Members receive priority registration to Bee School and a 15% discount (as well as other membership benefits throughout the year). Visit BABA’s membership page
to become a member and take advantage of benefits today!
* Limited scholarships are available to interested individuals experiencing financial hardship. If you are interested in a scholarship, please send an email describing your circumstances to email@example.com
and we will be in touch.
Course “books” are provided as a PDF for free. If you’d like a printed & spiral bound version, we sell them to attendees for $10.
Course instructors: The course will be taught by members of the Boston Area Beekeepers Association and guest speakers.