Date(s) - September 13, 2016
7:00 pm - 9:00 pm
Add this event to your calendar: iCal
BCYF Nazzaro Community Center
Lots of exciting changes will be happening for BABA this year! These changes (see below) will be discussed at 7:00pm.
At 7:30 pm, we will have a talk on overwintering from Mel Gadd, beekeeper for Drumlin Farms. Mel has experience with Langstroth, Top Bar, and Warre hives.
After Mel’s presentation, he will take any questions you have about getting your hives through the winter!
As of September 2016, annual BABA membership dues will be instated. As a recognized 501(c)(3) non-profit organization, your dues can be written off as a donation and will go back to educating beekeepers, bee enthusiasts, and the general public alike. Also, with dues BABA will be able to bring in speakers from around the U.S. rather than just from the Boston Area (not that we don’t have awesome speakers in the Boston Area!). We will be accepting dues payments at this meeting and soon, on our website. Please feel free to bring any questions regarding dues to the meeting.
Dues-paying members will receive the following benefits:
• Discounted (sometimes even free) entry to BABA meetings featuring noted speakers. Going forward, there will be a suggested $5 donation to attend the regular monthly meeting if you are not a due-paying members.
• Discounted registration for BABA’s annual Bee School.
• Discounted and priority registration for BABA’s annual Tour de Hives
• Opportunity to be nominated for and elected to the BABA board of directors.
• Opportunity to vote on which featured speakers from around the U.S. BABA will invite.
• And more as BABA grows!
Dues will be:
• Student: $15/year
• Individual: $20/year
• Family: $25/year
NOMINATIONS FOR BOARD MEMBERS
We will be accepting nominations for board members. The positions on the BABA board and their responsibilities are as follows:
• President – Coordinate Bee School, insurance compliance (teaching apiary, Boston Nature Center, Tour de Hives, etc.), allocating emails to appropriate contacts
• Vice President – Oversee committees, workgroups, and events (e.g. Tour de Hives planning committee, educational workgroups)
• Treasurer – Collects membership dues payment and tracks funds, works with Vice President to fund events
• Secretary – Membership chair, documentation, storage
• Webmaster – Keeps our website up to date
Each board member serves a year-long term and is welcome to serve longer. The current board will review nominations and make the final decision regarding who will make up the board for the coming year. If you would like to nominate someone (or yourself), please come prepared to fill out a nomination form with his/her name, the position being considered, his/her contact information, and why he/she would make a good board member.
LOGO DESIGN CONTEST
BABA doesn’t have a logo and we want your help! Submit your entry here (PDF, JPEG, or TIFF) by 11:59 pm on October 4, 2016. The submissions will be compiled and discussed at the general October meeting (October 11). The current board will make the final decision on which logo is picked. A good logo must be informative (we’re beekepers from the Boston Area!) but simple enough to print on t-shirts, flyers, and all sorts of other BABA paraphernalia!